(Ha, yes, apparently still not over the Springsteen thing...).
Anyway, I have had this old jumper knocking about for a few years now, I bought it in a charity shop for about £3.00, probably with the idea of un-ravelling it and using the yarn for something. However, as so often with manufactured knitwear, it was cut out of yards of knit cloth rather than being knitted as a piece, so the unravelling - it just doesn't work.
|Charity shop jumper basking in the autumn sun, with little idea of what lies ahead...|
I didn't like the 'worms' much, nor the Roman-numeralesque thing on the border, however it's a a lovely soft knit - I think in some kind of angora mix yarn (the label is gone). I removed the worms, but they left their imprint on the main fabric:
I bought a couple of cushions in the sale in one of those bargain shops a bit ago - it's usually cheaper than going out and buying cushion pads (crazy eh?). I used one for the Sashiko Cushion a while ago, the other had been hanging about annoyingly in its vile polyester cover. The vile cover did come in useful though:
|It also means it'll be the right size for the cushion pad.|
|Note the on-purpose slopey blue block....|
|The most nail biting bit. Though if I'm honest there wasn't much nail biting in this one really|
Then I sewed the whole thing together (I tell you, once I learnt to pin like this, life got massively easier machine sewing wise!):
|Then you can just sew (carefully) along them you see...dead easy!|
I did leave a gigantic seam allowance to deal with any unravelling-despite-felting while this thing was in progress. But of course you can't leave the gigantic seam allowance there because you'll have a bumpy edged cushion (not a good look). I zigzagged round and trimmed it down to avoid that problem:
Finished item. I am not sure if it's an abstract tree or sunset or what, but it's certainly cosy, cost about £5 altogether and took about an hour to make, all in: